PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with BCG?

RockyBlue
11-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I can`t believe it.WLEX News says Billy is starting the same starters as usual.Don`t get me wrong, Billy is THE coach but i don`t understand why he does certain things.To me, it would make perfect sense to start Liggins
against DS,what better chance to give him more experience without having to worry about turnovers too much.Am i nuts or what?

ImForKy
11-21-2008, 06:51 PM
I can`t believe it.WLEX News says Billy is starting the same starters as usual.Don`t get me wrong, Billy is THE coach but i don`t understand why he does certain things.To me, it would make perfect sense to start Liggins
against DS,what better chance to give him more experience without having to worry about turnovers too much.Am i nuts or what?

Scratching my head too. As I have been for a while now. :shrug1::confused:

Will Lavender
11-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Deandre's just going to have to get out there and earn it.

While I do think he played well in the second half Tuesday (and was rewarded with a lot of minutes), his turnover numbers still make it extremely difficult for me to be outraged that he's not starting.

helplesscatfan
11-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Deandre's just going to have to get out there and earn it.

While I do think he played well in the second half Tuesday (and was rewarded with a lot of minutes), his turnover numbers still make it extremely difficult for me to be outraged that he's not starting.

though you have to look at the alternative.. i doubt that line of reasoning, is such to discount Deandre from starting, but rather Porter not starting. jmo

UKBLUEJAY
11-21-2008, 07:09 PM
While it doesn't make a lot of difference who starts,BCG must a reason as to who plays when. But I think the PTs turnovers would be greatly diminished if the rest of the team would move more quickly to an open spot to give the PTs an outlet pass when they are double teamed or trapped.

Will Lavender
11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
though you have to look at the alternative.. i doubt that line of reasoning, is such to discount Deandre from starting, but rather Porter not starting. jmo

I think Deandre will be starting at some point in the near future.

But I'm just not that up in arms right now. Deandre is still way, way too wild with the ball for me to get too upset over this.

Folks bring up Michael Porter all the time. Well, go back and watch the first half of the Carolina game again. Deandre Liggins was about as careless and wacky with the basketball as one man can possibly be.

People are seeing this chasm between these two players that I'm not seeing as of November 21st.

When that chasm is closed, then I'll be ticked off if Michael's still starting.

jfthom2
11-21-2008, 07:26 PM
At this point, I don't care who starts. Liggins seems to be the viable option of the future, but it's not like he's proven he can handle the reins just yet. Until then, start who the hell ever and give each option a shot as they deserve and perform. I just want to see a PG in there who can consistently bring the ball up the court. Hell, I'll take Jared Carter as my PG if he can do a better job. At this point, we're still beggars for a viable PG.

UKBLUEJAY
11-21-2008, 07:30 PM
I think Deandre will be starting at some point in the near future.

But I'm just not that up in arms right now. Deandre is still way, way too wild with the ball for me to get too upset over this.

Folks bring up Michael Porter all the time. Well, go back and watch the first half of the Carolina game again. Deandre Liggins was about as careless and wacky with the basketball as one man can possibly be.

People are seeing this chasm between these two players that I'm not seeing as of November 21st.

When that chasm is closed, then I'll be ticked off if Michael's still starting.

Good call!
Liggins will take over the PT in the near future,he still needs to develope a little more to earn the spot. we all need to be alittle more patient.imo:widcat:

RockyBlue
11-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Patience! Whats that? a new kind of food?

WildcatDan
11-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Put your experience in at the beginning of the game and let your more talented and yet vastly inexperienced player watch and not be quite as nervous or have the pressure of being the "starter". Once you get through that initial fast flurry at the beginning of games, put in your younger talent and let them work themselves into the game at a more normal pace, against players that have been out there for a few mintues, and without all of that pressure. Gives the kid some more confidence when he comes in and keeps him from picking up a silly foul at the start when things are a bit more hectic. Once he gets fully into the swing of things and learns the system, Liggins will take that spot. He is still learning. Porter may not be as good overall as Liggins is, but he at least KNOWS the system and knows what Gillispie expects. Gillispie said that Liggins needs to "Learn from the bench". I suspect that is what he was talking about.

Some people play better off the bench anyway. See Cliff Hawkins his junior year.

billy clyde style
11-21-2008, 08:36 PM

If it's broke why try to fix it? What doesn't work for VMI or NC may work for Delaware State.

westtncat
11-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Guys I can live with Porter or Liggins turnovers alone. What about the other 20 turn overs? We do have point guard problems and I think Liggins is a bit more talented that Porter but neither is the biggest problem and neither will solve the "team" turnovers. All the cats need to make turnovers priority one. I'm ok with Porter for now. I think we will see Liggins get plenty of playing time. I mean big deal if Porter starts and Liggins gets 35 mins right?

BigBlue75
11-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm just not the type to wring my hands and speculate over things I have no control over. I'm not in the practices and I don't deal with the players on a day-to-day basis. For me, if Coach G has determined that this is the way to do it, I'm okay with it. Don't get me wrong, I love Liggins' athleticism and I firmly believe the day he becomes a regular starter is not that far off, but I'm going to trust Coach G to make the call.

kyrgaines
11-21-2008, 08:48 PM
I honestly think who starts at PG is more important to the fans than Gillespie right now. I'm not sure what he is doing other than keeping Porter's moral in check. It's still early in the season, even at game #3. Regardless of who is running the point, the whole team needs to protect the ball better and make better decisions.

pjquirk
11-21-2008, 08:49 PM

Did you not learn anything about who Coach likes to start by watching the team last year?

You earn your start by doing ALL of the right things in practice. Coach doesn't give starting jobs based upon the biggest upside. If that were the case, we'd have at least 2, maybe 3 different guys starting.

reggis
11-21-2008, 09:41 PM

Your not nuts and i believe your correct that now would be the ideal time to start Liggins at point.

J.Jennings
11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
I truly can't give my two cents worth about the point guard position until i get a chance to watch Galloway run the show. When the hell is he going to play is my question?I wanna see what he can do..........

Will Lavender
11-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I truly can't give my two cents worth about the point guard position until i get a chance to watch Galloway run the show. When the hell is he going to play is my question?I wanna see what he can do..........

Gillispie mentioned Galloway at his press conference today.

Said he was still high on Kevin, and thought he would help the team at some point, but he's still trying to adjust. Said Galloway had some bad habits to break, and was still turning it over a lot in practice.

Rockober
11-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I was expecting much more out of Galloway. I wasn't expecting points but I was expecting experience, assists, and leadership on the floor. I hope some of these qualities shine through by the time the SEC season begins.

kyrgaines
11-21-2008, 10:06 PM
I was expecting much more out of Galloway. I wasn't expecting points but I was expecting experience, assists, and leadership on the floor. I hope some of these qualities shine through by the time the SEC season begins.

Probably not fair to Galloway, but aside from the quantity of walk-ons BCG took in, Galloway joining the team really surprised me. I just didn't understand it but he obviously saw something.... I'm just saying his stats and minutes on the court at USC didn't exactly have me stoked.

matt colvin
11-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Same here Rockober. For some reason, I was (and still am) very high on KG. Something about him just gives me a good feeling...however it is worrying that we haven't seen him much yet.

nccoach32
11-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Just my 2 cents but Porter is a very, very smart player..My only grip is that he isn't fast enough to be a D1 player...

Kid is going to make a great coach one day, I guarantee that!

Porter is fine for now and once the Frosh gets a better understanding of running this offense, you will see the change.. For now, let Porter gain confidence!