Terry Shigg.

chworld22
11-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Harrison I can't remember his first name but he was a fan favorite

Will Lavender
11-01-2005, 12:16 PM
chworld22 wrote:
Chris? Saw him play in a barnstorming game once and he was lighting it up from all over the court. Came down and hit one in stride from the hash mark.

How about...

Myron "eBay" Anthony.

chworld22
11-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Joneslab wrote:
chworld22 wrote:
Chris? Saw him play in a barnstorming game once and he was lighting it up from all over the court. Came down and hit one in stride from the hash mark.

How about...

Myron "eBay" Anthony.
thats for the help. What about sbabota dont know if that is how it was spelled but he was another drowd favorite.

The Old School JPS
11-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Todd Svoboda.

I think I remember a DJ doing the Knack song "My Sharona" but making it into "Todd Svoboda".

trublu
11-01-2005, 01:17 PM
How about Bill Bussey? I don't think I'm spelling it correctly. He was pretty obscure.

Wildcat Larry
11-01-2005, 08:39 PM
trublu wrote:
How about Bill Bussey? I don't think I'm spelling it correctly. He was pretty obscure.
Just one "s" in Busey, I think. He came to UK in a package deal with Mike Casey from Shelby County High School.

How about Art Laib? :)

Spanish Moss
11-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Herky Rupp (U High) and Tommy Harper (Clark County)

ukfanman
11-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Maybe not totally obscure but 2 that very few people remember.

Ronnie Lyons. Pound for pound one of, if not the,the best I have ever seen play the game. I think he is still second in KY high school scoring even though there was no 3 point shot when he played.

Troy McKensie (Simon Kenton)was totally deadly from the corner. Great state tourney, went to UK, could have been a star anywhere else.

Wildcat Larry
11-02-2005, 09:47 PM
I believe it was Troy McKinley or something close to that. Didn't he transfer somewhere after like his sophmore year or am I thinking of someone else?

ukfanman
11-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
I believe it was Troy McKinley or something close to that. Didn't he transfer somewhere after like his sophmore year or am I thinking of someone else?He stayed the 4 years at UK and last I heard, was on the police department here in Lexington

The Old School JPS
11-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Troy McKinley. I remember him. Blond kid, played at Simon Kenton HS in Northern Kentucky. He said in the Cats Pause that his favorite food was spaghetti. (I don't know why I recall that.) He was a very accurate long range shooter. If they had the 3 point line in college when he played he would've been a more important part of the team.

He did become a Lexington police officer.

How about his contemporary, Bo Lanter?

Will Lavender
11-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Todd Ziegler.

Saw him recently in Fayette Mall and the man has added some...girth. :shock:

The Old School JPS
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Joneslab wrote:
Todd Ziegler.

Saw him recently in Fayette Mall and the man has added some...girth. :shock:

Good one.

He transferred to Western Kentucky, as did another very obscure player from the 80s that I vaguely remember:

Mike Ballenger.

Wildcat Larry
11-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Wasn't Ballinger from Indiana? I was thinking Mark, but Mike probably is right. Didn't he come to UK during the period when Jim Andrews from Lima, Ohio was at UK. Speaking of that time period and Lima, Ohio. Wasn't there a player named Penhorwood (I'm sure that's not spelled right) that came to UK from Lima? Seems like he was a guard the could really shot the ball.

Man, my head hurts now. Haven't used this much mental energy in a long time. :)

The Old School JPS
11-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Ballenger (from Indiana, I think) played in the 80s,after those Lima guys.Jim Andrews was before my time, butPaul Andrews, another addition to our list here (and Kentucky HS tourney hero, like Troy McKinley), was not...

Wildcat Larry
11-03-2005, 10:10 PM
You may be "old school", but I'm just old. :):?

CARDSRTOAST
11-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Art Laib was a real dissapointment Busey is still farming in Bagdad Ky..

CARDSRTOAST
11-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
Wasn't Ballinger from Indiana? I was thinking Mark, but Mike probably is right. Didn't he come to UK during the period when Jim Andrews from Lima, Ohio was at UK. Speaking of that time period and Lima, Ohio. Wasn't there a player named Penhorwood (I'm sure that's not spelled right) that came to UK from Lima? Seems like he was a guard the could really shot the ball.

Man, my head hurts now. Haven't used this much mental energy in a long time. :)
Steve Penhorwood and Dan Perry also were from Lima Ohio.all from different HS than Andrews.

The Old School JPS
11-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
You may be "old school", but I'm just old. :):?
LOL...OK, I may be "old school"; you're "old& cool" - how's that?

Wildcat Larry
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
CARDSRTOAST wrote:
Art Laib was a real dissapointment Busey is still farming in Bagdad Ky..
Yeah, I always thought Laib looked a little like Lurch on the Adams Family, an played about as stiff. ;)

Wasn't he from San Francisco, or somewhere in California. I always wonder about Rupp bringing him in as I don't think UK had any west coasters up until that time.

Art had a total of 18 points and 30 rebounds in his 3 years at UK. :shock: Of course, Laib played behind some guy named Issel, whoever he is.

http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Graphics/Players/art_laib.jpg

powellma94
11-08-2005, 10:02 AM
How about the little short guy that was nicknamed "Baby" something that played about 15 years ago. Everyone loved him but I can not remember his name. He played around the same time as Mugsy Bogues was playing in the NBA.

ElijahCraig
11-08-2005, 10:53 AM
powellma94 wrote:

How about the little short guy that was nicknamed "Baby" something that played about 15 years ago. Everyone loved him but I can not remember his name. He played around the same time as Mugsy Bogues was playing in the NBA.

I think you are talking about Leroy Byrd...aka "Baby Magic"...I think he was on the '84 Final Four team, though.

Add two more names to the list...Michael Parks and Tony Cooper, pretty obscure members of Pitino's first UK team.

Wildcat Larry
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
How about Brad Bounds from the mid-60s? He was Rupp's human cigar .... always came in when the game was already decided.

http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Graphics/Players/brad_bounds.jpg

Bounds was a 6'5" forward who liked to loft up shots from the side, and occassionally would hit a long one which would set the student body off yelling and laughing. Brad's best game was against Darmouth with 13 points, but he was usually in the last couple of minutes of the game with the students yellling, "shoot, Brad, shoot".

The Old School JPS
11-08-2005, 12:45 PM
ElijahCraig wrote:
Add two more names to the list...Michael Parks and Tony Cooper, pretty obscure members of Pitino's first UK team.
Whoa...now that is really obscure!

The Old School JPS
11-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Joneslab wrote:
How about...

Myron "eBay" Anthony.

Help me out here...what was Myron Anthony's ebay episode?

HOMEYCAT
11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Pat Doyle

Lived across the street from my brother in Frankfort. Played Golf nearly every day withJim. Very nice fellow. Played on the Cotton Nash teams of the early 60's and averaged 1.6 points per game usually in mop up duty. Cotton still visits my brother but Pat has passed.

bleedbluelady
11-08-2005, 06:46 PM
ukfanman wrote:
Wildcat Larry wrote:
I believe it was Troy McKinley or something close to that. Didn't he transfer somewhere after like his sophmore year or am I thinking of someone else?He stayed the 4 years at UK and last I heard, was on the police department here in Lexington
He was on the police department in Lexington but got injured on the job,I think in a automobile wreck,and is on disability. Not sure if he got into some other kind of work or not.

Will Lavender
11-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Tim Stephens.

Kentucky Mr. Basketball in 1976 (?).

Played on the UK national championship team in '78.

And interestingly, was my high school junior varsity coach. Is the best player I've ever seen. He could hit consistently from all distances, all angles, anywhere. It's a shame things didn't work out for him at UK.

Trueblujr
11-12-2005, 10:27 AM
http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Graphics/Players/jay_shidler.jpg

What about Jay Shidler?

He was one of my favorites as a little kid.

Jeff Craddock
11-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
How about Brad Bounds from the mid-60s? He was Rupp's human cigar .... always came in when the game was already decided.

http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Graphics/Players/brad_bounds.jpg

Bounds was a 6'5" forward who liked to loft up shots from the side, and occassionally would hit a long one which would set the student body off yelling and laughing. Brad's best game was against Darmouth with 13 points, but he was usually in the last couple of minutes of the game with the students yellling, "shoot, Brad, shoot".

How could anyone who was a student in those days forget Brad Bounds? I once played a round of golf with him and Pat Riley at what was then Tates Creek Country Club. It was just a pick up game, as I was playing alone and caught up with them and subsequently joined them. Bounds had a few funny tidbits about "the old man", as he called Rupp. Years have erased them from memory, but I do remember thinking he was a nice guy.

Delving even deeper into obscurity, who remembers Randy Poole? Or Phil Johnson? Or Don Rolfes? (The latter transferred to Cincinnati and went on to have a pretty good career.)

But my vote for the most obscure player--the leading scorer on his freshman squad, but never saw a minute of varsity time--is Bernie Butts. Anyone know what happened to him?

JPS
11-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Jeff Craddock wrote:
But my vote for the most obscure player--the leading scorer on his freshman squad, but never saw a minute of varsity time--is Bernie Butts.* Anyone know what happened to him? ** **

Actually, Butts did play varsity, but only for a short while before transferring. He was a high school All-American from Florida. He ended up playing for Miami (Fl).

Link to Butt's UK stats (http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Statistics/Players/Butts_Bernard.html)

Jon

Jeff Craddock
11-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info, Jon. I remember going to the freshman games and watching Butts jack it up like crazy, scoring bushels of points. But it was hard not to notice that he had little game other than a shooter's conscience. It could be that Rupp demanded to much discipline from him.....or maybe he was just homesick. ;)

Wildcat Larry
11-13-2005, 01:15 PM
How about Mickey Gibson .... seemed destined for greatness at UK, but it didn't happen.

Another shooter, Greg Starrick .... maybe in just a little over his head as he went to Southern Illinois and had a pretty good career.

UKSam
11-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Chris Gettlefinger and Leroy Byrd

RockStrongo
11-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Two Words - Irv Thomas :cool:

UKSam
11-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Bo Lantern

beachedkat
11-29-2005, 05:19 PM
HOMEYCAT wrote:

Pat Doyle

Lived across the street from my brother in Frankfort. Played Golf nearly every day withJim. Very nice fellow. Played on the Cotton Nash teams of the early 60's and averaged 1.6 points per game usually in mop up duty. Cotton still visits my brother but Pat has passed.
Pat was a on the North Marshall state champion team in 1959. Bunch of grayhounds - I don't think anyone was over 6'3". Beat the poo out of my h.s. team. Sorry to hear he has passed on.

Sir Richard F. Burton
12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Charles Hurt (http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Statistics/Players/Hurt_Charles.html) aka Atlas saw him play in high school very muscular guy.

http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Graphics/Programs/19800202Tennessee.jpg

Zakk Wyldcat
12-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Clarence Tillman & Todd May. Both washed out after the 1st semester of their freshman seasons, IIRC. I think May actually got more PT than Kenny Walker the first half of that year('82-'83) before leaving. Maybe not, I was11years oldand my memory is fuzzy.

Spanish Moss
12-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Adolph Rupp, Jr.

He was so obscure he sat at the end of the bench

BigBlue75
12-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Well, this player certainly wasn't obscure but you certainly don't hear much about him, although he was one of my favorites.

Larry Johnson.

Spanish Moss
12-04-2005, 08:07 AM
BigBlue75 wrote:
Well, this player certainly wasn't obscure but you certainly don't hear much about him, although he was one of my favorites.

Larry Johnson.

Larry Johnson was a player, a real good player. I wonder what he is doing these days.

Terry L. Wildcat
12-07-2005, 09:37 PM
:cool:Travis Butler from Alabama, Mort Farley for Lex, Randy Noll from Cov Cath, Wendel Lyons from Vine Grove and Roger Wood from Chicago.

Wildcat Larry
12-07-2005, 09:40 PM
That was Mort Fraley from Lexington Catholic. He's was in high school the same time I was ................ouch, am I that old? :shock:

Terry L. Wildcat
12-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the catch Larry...that was what I was supposed to be typing...Mort was one of eleven in a freshman class.

The Old School JPS
12-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah, wearing wrestling headgear in games too - I remember him even though he didn't play very much.

He played high school basketball in Lexington but transferred to UK from UNLV. I suppose Tarkanian came to UK's backyard to recruit him. I wonder what odd stories are behind all of that?

samsdad
12-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Terry Mobley played at the same time as Cotton Nash. He hit a last second shot to beat Duke in the Sugar Bowl Classic in New Orleans in about 1960.

Blue Heaven
12-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Mike Scott. I saw him play in the King of the Bluegrass and looked pretty awesome. When he came here from Wake Forrest I thought he would do something for us but stunk up the place.

Blue Heaven
12-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Clarence Tillman & Todd May. Both washed out after the 1st semester of their freshman seasons, IIRC. I think May actually got more PT than Kenny Walker the first half of that year('82-'83) before leaving. Maybe not, I was11years oldand my memory is fuzzy

Posted by Zakk Wyldcat

Was Walker around then. I was thinking maybe 84-85.

Wildcat Larry
12-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Larry Lentz. Now that's obscure. :)

Stoney Fork
12-29-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm getting into this rather late; I've been out of touch with not just UK sports, but just about everything for the last couple of months.

Just an anecdote concerning Troy McKinley for fans that may not be very familiar with him. As I'm sure many of you know McKinley was pretty much invisible for the four years he spent at UK......at least until the last two or three games of his senior season. He did play an important role in Joe Hall's final game. Playing St Johns in the NCAA the Wildcats were not favored to make it to the next round.StJohns putWalter Berry, Chris Mullin and Mark Jackson on the floor, while Kentucky seemed to have only Kenny Walker to challenge. The contest began like most games had for UK for the last couple of years, with St Johns double and triple teaming Walker and allowing the guards to shoot to their hearts content from outside. Due to poor memory, I don't recall if McKinley started or not, but he was in there very early and along with Roger Harden they gave Lou Carnesecca's team a problem they hadn't planned on. Harden and McKinley combined for 19 points in the first half and neither missed a shot and most of them came from way downtown. Walker in the meantime was.........well, was playing like Kenny Walker! With around 11:00 remaining in the half the bubble burst for the Cats with a finger from Chris Mullin to the eye of Kenny Walker.

Of course with Harden and McKinley burning up the nets, the Redmen's strategy of stop Walker and stop Kentucky was about to crumble. With the two guards shooting so well, St Johns had no choice but to send somebody out there to guard these guys and in doing so would have been unable to cover Walker with two or three players............and we all remember what Walker did to anybody that tried to cover him one-on-one! Alas, St Johns didn't have to worry about it. With Kenny playing with one eye, his shooting touch was severely hampered and the Redmen were able to guard the All-American with only Walter Berry or Bill Wennington. It also allowed them to get out and make it almost impossible for McKinley or Harden to get an open shot.

Most "experts" say that the outcome was inevitable regardless of the infamous (To UK fans) finger in the eye, but I often wonder just what might have happened. I could easily see St Johns coming unraveled with NCAA pressure on them plus being a solid favorite, if Kenny Walker had not been injuried. It very well could have come down to a choice of who do we stop? Walker or the guards? They may have been able to shut down the outside shooting with man-to-man defense.....butI don't believeanyone on the St Johns squad could have stopped Kenny Walker by himself.

lighthouse
12-30-2005, 07:44 AM
This is a great thread that brings back some good memories. How about John Crigler and Adrian Smith.

UKDEBEST
12-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Crigler got 3 fouls on Elgin Baylor in 1958 Title Game..Odie Smith had a long NBA career

Wildcat Larry
12-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Odie Smith doing the "Y" at tonight's game in Cincy.

http://www.ukathletics.com/img2/mbb_123005_odiesmith_y.jpg

lighthouse
12-31-2005, 08:57 AM
Odie Smith, Vernon Hatton, John Crigler, Johnny Cox. I can't remember who played center. HELP! :blush::D

Jeff Craddock
12-31-2005, 03:48 PM
^

Ed Beck. I saw him on one of those E Channel specials a couple of years ago. He is a Methodist minister, but was also involved in dinner theatre in Arizona. In that capacity he became something of a spiritual advisor to Bob Crane of Hogan's Heroes, who was murdered around twenty-five years ago.. He looked SO familiar, just like the UK center, so I googled him and discovered that it was, in fact, our Ed Beck and that he had entered the ministry after leaving UK. As far as I know, he is still in Arizona and has a fairly large church.

Wildcat Larry
12-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Ed Beck - #34

http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Graphics/GameAction/19580321Temple2.jpg

Courtesy of Jon Scott's webpage.

Dr. H Lecter
12-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Blue Heaven wrote:
Mike Scott. I saw him play in the King of the Bluegrass and looked pretty awesome. When he came here from Wake Forrest I thought he would do something for us but stunk up the place.

I was going to say Mike Scott as well. He of the "soft paws."

I remember him throwing one over the backboard on a funky jump-hook shot down in alligator alley.

I think I still have that one on a VHS tape somewhere. I remember the Florida students erupting in laughter after the shot.

The Old School JPS
01-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Great post there about Troy McKinley, Kenny Walker and that NCAA tournament. Those are some fun memories.

I think UK was a 12 seed that year and probably one of the last teams to get a bid. UK beat Washington, a 5 seed, in the opening round I think and then beat (I think this is right) UNLV, a 4 seed. St. John's was a 1 seed and one of the very best teams in the nation. UK's tourney run with the two upsets was a real surprise and their play vs. St. John's was too until Walker's eye was badly poked. I think Walker wore goggles on the court for his whole pro career after that. It was a good game until then. It was nice that Troy McKinley got to shine in that game though.

Terry L. Wildcat
01-03-2006, 09:54 PM
The Old School JPS wrote:
Great post there about Troy McKinley, Kenny Walker and that NCAA tournament. Those are some fun memories.

I think UK was a 12 seed that year and probably one of the last teams to get a bid. UK beat Washington, a 5 seed, in the opening round I think and then beat (I think this is right) UNLV, a 4 seed. St. John's was a 1 seed and one of the very best teams in the nation. UK's tourney run with the two upsets was a real surprise and their play vs. St. John's was too until Walker's eye was badly poked. I think Walker wore goggles on the court for his whole pro career after that. It was a good game until then. It was nice that Troy McKinley got to shine in that game though.

I was at that game in Denver and it turned out to be Coach Hall's last...Troy came off the bench and was nailing the three...we were in the game until Chris Mullen unintentionally poked Kenny in the eye...the rest is history.

catfanintn
01-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Joneslab wrote:
Tim Stephens.

And interestingly, was my high school junior varsity coach. Is the best player I've ever seen. He could hit consistently from all distances, all angles, anywhere. It's a shame things didn't work out for him at UK.

Ditto this. My high school team (Lincoln Co.) played his in the Regional finals in '75. We won the game, but double and triple teamed Tim and he still scored over 40 points. He had an unbelievably beautiful left handed shot from long distance. This was before the 3 pointer, too.

Wildcat Larry
01-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Patrick Sparks --- Sorry, still feeling the pain from last night. :shock::?

samsdad
01-13-2006, 05:24 AM
Charles "Chili" Ishmael, Scotty Baesler, Dickie Parsons, & Allen Feldhaus. Dickie Parsons coached at Boyle County, and I think he was one of Joe Hall's assistants. Allen Feldhaus coached at Russell County.

jaspcat
01-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Chuck Verderber and Cedric Jenkins.

Anybody know what's up with Jon Scott's site. ukfans.net says the domain has expired.

Terry L. Wildcat
01-19-2006, 10:31 AM
FCFS82 wrote:
Terry L. Wildcat wrote:
The Old School JPS wrote:

I was at that game in Denver and it turned out to be Coach Hall's last...Troy came off the bench and was nailing the three...we were in the game until Chris Mullen unintentionally poked Kenny in the eye...the rest is history.
Uh....1985 was Hall's last year...three-point shot didn't originate until 1987.

Good catch...how about he was nailing the outside shot ;)

Wildcat Larry
01-19-2006, 01:36 PM
How about Henry Thomas. Pitino had everybody convince that Thomas was the best player to come out of Mississippi in the last 10 years. Of course, Tricky Ricky played down the fact that he was recruiting Thomas' teammate and hoped the signing Henry would get him the other player.

BTW, I can't remember that other dude's name. Anybody remember it? I think he ended up going to Mississippi, or somewhere like that.

Wildcat Larry
01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
My post before this brought to mind Jonathon Davis, too. :shock:

actncat
01-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Anybody remember Tommy Porter from Christian County?? He was on the Runts team. He still lives in Hopkinsville. My dentist and a good one too!!!!

Wildcat Larry
01-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
How about Henry Thomas. Pitino had everybody convince that Thomas was the best player to come out of Mississippi in the last 10 years. Of course, Tricky Ricky played down the fact that he was recruiting Thomas' teammate and hoped the signing Henry would get him the other player.

BTW, I can't remember that other dude's name. Anybody remember it? I think he ended up going to Mississippi, or somewhere like that.

Here's Henry. The pictures doesn't exactly bring back memories, does it? :?

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/henry_thomas.jpg

samsdad
01-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Nathaniel Buis played in 12 games in 43/44 and scored 31 points. I didn't realize he played for UK until I saw it on Jon Scott's site. He was my high school (Casey County HS, class of 1966) principal and a good one. He was 75 when he died in 2000.

BOURBON TOWN CAT FAN
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Eddie Sutton ;) and Brett Bearup (81-85)

Terry L. Wildcat
02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
actncat wrote:
Anybody remember Tommy Porter from Christian County?? He was on the Runts team. He still lives in Hopkinsville. My dentist and a good one too!!!!

I sure do as I was soph the year of THE RUNTS!

KY Native in IN
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Chris Gettelfinger...Skip McGaw

Terry L. Wildcat
04-02-2006, 10:44 PM
:cool:Bennie Coffman

Jeff Craddock
04-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Terry L. Wildcat wrote:
:cool:Bennie Coffman
And his running mate, Sid Cohen. Both JuCo's--Rupp was not above the occasional JuCo, if he had a need. (Bob Burrow, Sid Cohen, Bennie Coffman....) Very pragmatic man. :thumbup

Blue4ever
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Mark Soderberg. Replaced Issel after he fouled out against Jacksonville with 10 minutes to go in the second half. Issel had 28 pts. Soderberg did a very good job. If I remember correctly transfered after UK signed Tom Payne.

delkfor3
09-16-2006, 10:09 AM
:idea:Todd Tackett and Nate Knight......You know, I barely remember Nate, eventhough it was during the Tubby Smith era. Didn't he only play one year at UK, before transferring and I really don't remember him getting much done on the floor either.:nada:

CARDSRTOAST
09-17-2006, 08:47 AM
trublu wrote:
How about Bill Bussey? I don't think I'm spelling it correctly. He was pretty obscure.Bill Busey came from the same HS team as Mike Casey..He is farming now in Baghdad KY..

Grub
09-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
Wildcat Larry wrote:

Larry - I may be way off base on this one and I apologize if I am, but I think the player to which you are referring is Carlos Toomer. Pitino was recruiting a teammate of Toomer's and was blown away by his athleticism. Henry Thomas was actually recruited and signed by C.M. Newton and playedhigh school basketball in Clarksville, Tennesee.He had commited to play for the team before Pitino had ever been hired. Henry blew out his knee before his freshman year and took a medical redshirt.

jpay
09-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Chuck Alexisinis not sure of the spelling. Center was a freshman on the 78 national championship team.

Wildcat Larry
09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
jpay wrote:
Chuck Alexisinis not sure of the spelling. Center was a freshman on the 78 national championship team.
Then he transferred out and went to play for UConn before UConn was UConn. Here Chuck:

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/chuck_aleksinas.jpg

Wildcat Larry
09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Grub wrote:
Wildcat Larry wrote:
Wildcat Larry wrote:

Larry - I may be way off base on this one and I apologize if I am, but I think the player to which you are referring is Carlos Toomer. Pitino was recruiting a teammate of Toomer's and was blown away by his athleticism. Henry Thomas was actually recruited and signed by C.M. Newton and playedhigh school basketball in Clarksville, Tennesee.He had commited to play for the team before Pitino had ever been hired. Henry blew out his knee before his freshman year and took a medical redshirt.

You are absolutely correct, it was Carlos Toomer. All I have to blame is my advancing senility, but it's not all bad because I'll forget I made this mistake by 8:00 tonight. :D

Oh, and here's a picture of Toomer.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/GameAction/19901124Pennsylvania.jpg

BigblueDrew
09-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Has Art Leab been mentioned yet, might be the ugliest(sorry Art) player in UK history.

Spanish Moss
09-19-2006, 05:41 AM
BigblueDrew wrote:
Has Art Leab been mentioned yet, might be the ugliest(sorry Art) player in UK history.

Art Laib, the "lefty" from San Francisco:

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/art_laib.jpg

CARDSRTOAST
10-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
Wildcat Larry wrote:

Henry was Sutton's last recruit Not Tricky Ricky You are thinking of Carlos Toomer

CARDSRTOAST
10-07-2006, 10:34 AM
BigblueDrew wrote:
You mean Art Laib..Coach Rupp rode him like a dog...

JPS
10-10-2006, 10:24 PM
BigblueDrew wrote:

I'm pretty sure the title of ugliest UK player belongs to "Pug" Longsworth.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/dutch_longsworth.jpg

Jon

Terry L. Wildcat
10-12-2006, 02:23 PM
:cool:How about Rick Drewitz and Clint Wheeler

Wildcat Larry
10-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Rick Drewitz

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/rick_drewitz2.jpg

Clint Wheeler

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/clint_wheeler.jpg

Okay, these guys may be a little goofy looking (and I'm a one to talk), but I think Laib and Pug still take the ugly contest. :lol:

Terry L. Wildcat
10-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
Rick Drewitz

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/rick_drewitz2.jpg

Clint Wheeler

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/clint_wheeler.jpg

Okay, these guys may be a little goofy looking (and I'm a one to talk), but I think Laib and Pug still take the ugly contest. :lol:

lol...Larry, I was just remembering them, not saying they are ugly...you've seen me so you know I cannot cast stones :cool: I had a class with Rick and he was a nice guy.

DaytonKat
10-28-2006, 07:15 AM
This thread brings back some memories.

How about....

David Miller, think he transferred to Marshall

Danny Hall, mountain man from Betsy Lane transferred out

G.J. Smith, KY Long Rifleman before Tim Stephens

Steve Lochmueller, came inwith Grevey, Jimmy Dan, et. al.

Joey Holland, his dad was a pretty fair player

Vincent Del Negro, father of Vinnie who played at N.C. State

Lincoln Collinsworth, father of footballer Chris

Scott Courts, big man transferred out

The Late Bob Fowler, could take a dollar bill from top of backboard & leave change

Todd Bearup, Brett's brother

Terry L. Wildcat
10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
DaytonKat wrote:
This thread brings back some memories.

How about....

David Miller, think he transferred to Marshall

Danny Hall, mountain man from Betsy Lane transferred out

G.J. Smith, KY Long Rifleman before Tim Stephens

Steve Lochmueller, came inwith Grevey, Jimmy Dan, et. al.

Joey Holland, his dad was a pretty fair player

Vincent Del Negro, father of Vinnie who played at N.C. State

Lincoln Collinsworth, father of footballer Chris

Scott Courts, big man transferred out

The Late Bob Fowler, could take a dollar bill from top of backboard & leave change

Todd Bearup, Brett's brother

:cool:I remember all of them...Scott Courts transfered to Regis College in Denver if I remember correctly...he was overwhelmed by the attention basketball players got at Kentucky...our 78 championship team had twoDenverguys on it: Scott Courts and Lavon Williams.

trublu
11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't know if Todd Svoboda is really that obscure, but he was one of my favorites.

Russ24ky
11-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Mason County's Ronnie Lyons

Madiblue
01-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Jonathon Davis? late 80's early 90's, a forward out of Florida, he seemed to vanish into thin air? did he last all four years?

matt colvin
01-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Madiblue wrote:
Jonathon Davis? late 80's early 90's, a forward out of Florida, he seemed to vanish into thin air? did he last all four years?

Here ya go:

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Players/Davis_Johnathon.html

Madiblue
01-19-2007, 02:08 PM
He was from pine forest florida and looks like he was from pine chair while in Lexington, he redshirted then only stayed three years after? he must have graduated, transfered or just decided to do something else, anyone know? thats for the response!

yitbos
03-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Wildcat Larry wrote:
That was Mort Fraley from Lexington Catholic. He's was in high school the same time I was ................ouch, am I that old? :shock:the scariest part is, when I was in Lexington I worked for National City and Mort would always come into our branch to chat and bring us free beer and pizza, I didnt know until this day that he used to play ball for UK :)

The Old School JPS
03-12-2007, 07:30 AM
How about Steve Bruce, who was a walk on the same year as Terry Shigg?

Gatorade State Players of the Year, 1986:

Florida: Dwayne Schintzius
Kentucky: Rex Chapman
Massachusetts: Rumeal Robinson
Michigan: Terry Mills
Texas: LaBradford Smith
Virginia: J. R. Reid

South Dakota: Terry Shigg

CARDSRTOAST
03-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Randy Pool Tennessee Mr.Basketball in his day

CARDSRTOAST
03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Madiblue wrote:
He was from pine forest florida and looks like he was from pine chair while in Lexington, he redshirted then only stayed three years after? he must have graduated, transfered or just decided to do something else, anyone know? thats for the response!
Jonathon lives in Lexington...in nthe financial business.

lribookend
04-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Actually, I thoughtDavis had graduated and started grad school at UK (but was still eligible to play because of the redshirt year). I remember Jonathon started on Senior Day, and was hitting every shot he took. His mother remarked after that game, that if Pitino had just played him once in while, he could have really helped the team. I believe his last year he was scoring like a machine in practices before the season began, but once the season began, he never saw the floor. Does anyone else remember that?

SamKat
05-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Ned Jennings- 6'9"- Headquarters, KY late 50's and 60 when I was at UK. Although Ned may be obscure, he started at center and that UK team defeated the great Ohio State team in Memorial Hall. Fred Taylor mistakenly decide to run with KY after enjoying a 15 point lead at the end of the first half. OSU beat KY in the NCAA's later and went on to win the NCAA Championship with Lucas and Havlicek.

Incidentally, Mike Scott, previously mentioned above, is said to be helping coach a consistently fine ladie's team at Shawnee State in Portsmouth, Ohio. Shawnee State was National Champion of NAIA Division II in 1999. I'm not sure if Mike helped then.

This is a great thread. I appreciated Stoney fork's description of the St. John's game with Troy McKinley hitting from the outside and, sadly, of Kenny Walker's finger in the eye by the St. John's guy. That was Joe B.'s last game and led to the first turn down by the Arizona coach I never wanted at UK anyway. Also Eddie Sutton became coach and Kenny took the team to a 32-4 season in 85-86.

cwahl
05-01-2007, 11:37 PM
i am glad you brought him up cause i was going to,were i live now, McCreary Co, which is were Tim is from and still resides, i play ball with his son, his son is righty with not as good of a shot but still a pretty desent player,i believe he is about the same age as me in the earlier 20saround 23 i think

Tim Stephens.

cwahl
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Casey Co was also my high school, class of 2002 though, i see you live in kings mtn area, does walltown ring a bell to you, that is were i am originally from.

Nathaniel Buis played in 12 games in 43/44 and scored 31 points. I didn't realize he played for UK until I saw it on Jon Scott's site. He was my high school (Casey County HS, class of 1966) principal and a good one. He was 75 when he died in 2000.

bigblue830
05-03-2007, 09:48 PM
how about mike scott, chris gettlefinger, leroy byrd,jody thompson,etc

Terry L. Wildcat
05-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Ned Jennings- 6'9"- Headquarters, KY late 50's and 60 when I was at UK. Although Ned may be obscure, he started at center and that UK team defeated the great Ohio State team in Memorial Hall. Fred Taylor mistakenly decide to run with KY after enjoying a 15 point lead at the end of the first half. OSU beat KY in the NCAA's later and went on to win the NCAA Championship with Lucas and Havlicek.

Incidentally, Mike Scott, previously mentioned above, is said to be helping coach a consistently fine ladie's team at Shawnee State in Portsmouth, Ohio. Shawnee State was National Champion of NAIA Division II in 1999. I'm not sure if Mike helped then.

This is a great thread. I appreciated Stoney fork's description of the St. John's game with Troy McKinley hitting from the outside and, sadly, of Kenny Walker's finger in the eye by the St. John's guy. That was Joe B.'s last game and led to the first turn down by the Arizona coach I never wanted at UK anyway. Also Eddie Sutton became coach and Kenny took the team to a 32-4 season in 85-86.

Sam, I remember Ned Jennings well...mostly from the radio.

Brian McCat
05-22-2007, 08:46 PM
how about mike scott, chris gettlefinger, leroy byrd,jody thompson,etc

Gettelfinger and Byrd, one might argue, were hardly obscure, as they attained something of a cult status, a/la Massiello.

Bleedin Blue
05-26-2007, 04:11 AM
I don't know if anyone mentioned him or not,but Joey Holland owns a car dealership in Charleston W.Va. I believe his father also played for the Cats.

samsdad
06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Casey Co was also my high school, class of 2002 though, i see you live in kings mtn area, does walltown ring a bell to you, that is were i am originally from.

I was born in a 2-room house behind the Walltown Christian Church. I was raised on Grove Ridge. My mom and brother still live there. I also have a sister in Perryville.

CARDSRTOAST
06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned him or not,but Joey Holland owns a car dealership in Charleston W.Va. I believe his father also played for the Cats.

Joe Holland was the first Sub for the Fabulous Five..Actually he "owns" the 5 Holland Dealerships including Bachman Chevrolet in Louisville.Joey is the General Manager...

howieg
07-02-2007, 09:24 PM

I went to high school with Mike at Greenup County. He was awesome in high school but didn't have the drive to play at the major college level. He was real shy. He would play point guard in pick up games at the local gym. We had a rule he could go in past the free throw line. He was a good friend. Had alot of talent but honestly didn't like basketball much.

wildcat537
12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
dickie beal,jeff brassow,rodney dent.oliver simmons

The Old School JPS
12-11-2008, 04:25 PM
oliver simmons

The Big O.

Remember him hitting the 3 against Utah in the NCAA tournament?

Remember anything else about him?

Pitino brought in some surprising gems (Scott Padgett) but also some absolute duds, like Simmons.

mobile2
12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
My clan's favorite was Jared *****ett. We nicknamed him "Chia Pet" because of his hair.

mobile2
12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/spit6ph.gif

Perhaps the language restrictions are a wee bit tight when it removes the ***** from Jared P-r-i-c-k-e-t-t-'-s name...

http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/rofl3.gif

sharon333
12-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I remember him. That was a great nickname.