Makayla Epps woke up Monday morning knowing she was going to be a Kentucky Wildcat.

The daughter of former UK point guard Anthony Epps committed to Louisville last year, but backed off that decision a few weeks ago.

On Monday, Epps took her first tour of UK's campus and met with Coach Matthew Mitchell, who concluded the tour with a question.

"At the end of the visit," she said, "he just asked me if I needed more time or if my decision was already made.

"Epps didn't need to think about it any longer. She committed on the spot.

Epps joins friend and Marion County teammate Kyvin Goodin-Rogers as UK's first two commitments from the class of 2013. Goodin-Rogers, who also recently decommitted from U of L, made her commitment to the Cats last week.

"I'm really excited," Epps said. "That was what we wanted to do ever since the commitment at Louisville was play together."

Epps said she decommitted from Louisville after "some things that me and Coach (Jeff) Walz bumped heads on." She felt more of a connection with Mitchell.

"Him and the coaching staff make you feel right at home," she said. "They don't keep anything from you and they let you know everything straightforward."

David Tapley, who coaches Epps and Goodin-Rogers for the Kentucky Premier AAU team, said it was a bonus that Mitchell landed two highly regarded prospects who are also local products.

"Those kids are Kentucky kids, so I'm sure the name on the front of jersey is going to mean something," Tapley said. "Any time any school can get two Top 100 kids, that's a great start to their class."

kentucky.com